Wednesday, August 4, 2010

For the love of Peaches


Today was such a wonderful day!  Three and a half weeks ago my very good friends lost their one year old Cockapoo named Peaches.  I have gotten to know this sweet dog and my heart was just broken.  Her owners made posters and posted pictures and info on every pet website in the area. The worst part of that day a few weeks ago was that she broke her collar and it fell off as she was startled and ran.  Every day they worked on finding her.  They drove to all the shelters, animal hospitals and the area around where she was last seen.  I have also looked and every time I heard a dog bark; I had to stop and see the dog who was barking.  So many friends were on the look for her.  I told my friends that the feeling in my heart was that she was still alive and that they could not give up.  The day she ran she went into a shallow creek and then disappeared from site.  There is no peace of mind in not having closure about a lost creature of any species.  A lady called yesterday and said that she had seen a dog looking like Peaches still around the creek area.  Armed with familiar toys and fresh cooked chicken (her favorite), my friends pulled on boots and headed into the slippery creek area.  They began calling out to her and out she came running to them.  We have had many severe storms and extreme heat in the last few weeks that she was homeless, but she had been hiding in the storm drain tunnel waiting for them to come for her.  She is their miracle dog and our prayers are answered tonight and we are all going to sleep well....especially Peaches.

2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The poor thing was scared.... Glad she was found!.

Ro Magnolia said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad she was found! I can't even begin to imagine how frightened her owners must have been - and who knows what that little one encountered in the weeks she was hiding there. Even a chance encounter with a raccoon could have proven fatal for a little dog. So glad she is home, safe and sound!