Saturday, January 15, 2011

1997

I remember the moment. I told my husband about this new "box" called a WebTV. Neither of us were computer savvy other than recognizing one when we passed by it. I convinced the Mr. that we could get emails and internet without any of the scary stuff. I thought it would make a great Christmas gift for us. He wasn't as excited as I was. However, the night that we were sitting on the edge of the bed when I finally had it hooked up and the WebTV tune came on, we both gasped for air. The box connected to the tv and so magically the internet (with or without Al Gore) appeared in place of BRAVO. We spent hours thinking of user names; dashed when we had the perfect one, but it was not available. We had a new young kitten who also seemed to marvel at whatever had such a hold on us. We all just rotated around in the bed leaving "roads" through the bedding where we had been two hours earlier. I felt savvy as though I was "with it".
I read the book that came with the WebTV and found it to be incredibly simple. Here is what to do - if you are 6 years old. After one week I was like a junkie with a score. I could not leave it alone. Inside the box were people with incredible knowledge about the box and how it worked. I was possessed. I had a tablet and I wrote down every detail of every place I found....incredibly long http:'s and everything I found once I got there. This alone took a great deal of time. Somehow, after making email addy's and setting up the home page, I found a post about HTML. I was just going to have a peak....curious. I spent four hours reading and learning about this and of course I had to try everything that I learned about. People were creating "domains" and websites. It was my candy. I have to say up front here that you could not download things on the WebTV. You could only upload and TRANSLOAD (a story in itself).

TO BE CONTINUED.

2 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Hi
I thought I should just let you know that I tried to comment on your OWOH giveaway but it would not let me do it. I wonder whetehr others have that problem also???
Take care
Astrid

Nanbon44 said...

I tried leaving a comment on your other blog for the one world one heart event, but the comment section is not working... you can put in the comment, but when you hit the button and go to the security code it just cycles through before you can type in the code... You might want to check it out or remove youre code section..

this was my message for that screen
So very nice to meet you... I am having so much fun reading all the wonderful blogs..

Please enter my name in your lovely drawing
Bonnie in Florida
Blogs Southern Style #566 and Nanbon's Corner #567 USA